Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A review of "Run" by Blake Crouch



" This is why I read Blake Crouch...Great pace, storytelling, and characters"

****Four Stars

I've read Crouch's first two books in his Wayward Pines series and, while waiting for the third and final book to be released next month, I decided to check out one of his older works. Run is a like a combination of "Night of the Comet" and "The Purge." The first third of the book moves at an incredible pace, barely giving the reader time to breathe, which I loved. The story slows a little in the middle but takes off again later, sprinting all the way to the end. Crouch is excellent with his pacing, but his storytelling and characters are just as strong. He really pulls you into the story and entertains the hell out of you from beginning to end. I finished this book in two days, which is unheard of for me. There were many times where I just couldn't stop. I had to see what was going to happen next.

This book, however, isn't without its faults. For one thing, Crouch's style is different (more choppy and sporadic) than his most recent books (Wayward series). Additionally, there was a lot of repetition in this story, whether it was Crouch's use of the same words, constant descriptions of landscapes, etc. I also found a few too many coincidences, especially when it came to getting characters out of seemingly impossible situations.

In the end, though, I enjoyed this book immensely. Crouch has become my favorite author, and I plan on checking out many of his other books.

http://www.amazon.com/Run-Blake-Crouch-ebook/dp/B004PGNF0W

No comments:

Post a Comment