Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Women in Horror Month - Review of "Still Lake" by Sara Brooke



****Four Stars

A quick and entertaining read with untapped potential

I have read Sara Brooke before, and the description for Still Lake was right up my alley, so I didn't hesitate to pick it up. Sara has a certain quality about her writing that makes her easy to read, and this book was no different. While I enjoyed the story, there were a few things that held back the book's true potential. One was the amount of "telling" that went on. For example, everything is laid out for the reader from the very beginning, which kills a lot of the mystery/suspense relating to the plot. This makes the story somewhat predictable and doesn't give many of the characters the depth they truly deserve. Additionally, I wasn't sure whose point of view I was reading at times. That being said, Sara is effective in her storytelling. She moves at a quick pace, which I like, and the book was entertaining enough to keep me turning the pages. Though rectifying the issues I mentioned could have made this book great (five stars), I did "like" Still Lake, which is why I believe it deserves four stars.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R266WP2NIO0RBQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0086608EI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

No comments:

Post a Comment